I went shopping in Caterbury’s Maling Road with a girlfriend the end of last year and visited this adorable children’s gift shop. A gorgeous little bird mobile caught my eye. After close inspection I decided I would be able to make one just as good if not prettier! Feel free to make your own version…
What you need:
- Fabric scraps
- Poly fill stuffing
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing tools
- Pick your favourite colour scheme and select 4 different types of material. Roughly sketch a shape of a bird with a small wing and cut out two birds and two wings of each material. You will need to ensure you reverse the bird template for the second bird and wing so you can flip them (as shown below).
- Sew the wings onto each bird using a different material. I used a zig zag stitch and then also used tic tac to border two of the bird’s wings.
- Once you have sewn on the wings fold both sides of the bird facing one another. Sew around the outer edge leaving an inch gap at the bottom to allow for stuffing.
- Turn inside out and iron flat. Stuff each bird (I also placed a bell in each beak so they jingle) then stitch close the seam. Your little birds should now be complete.
- Choose a ribbon that suits your colour scheme and using a large needle, thread the ribbon through the birds in your order of preference. Sew the end of the ribbon around a ring or simply tie a bow to hang from.
- Tie a bell at the other end and you should have an adorable little bird mobile!
Here are some more recent ones in a variety of colours!